The last couple of weeks, I have been interviewing for a new position here at Utopia. Our new staff member, Jerica, started here this Monday. Everyone will love her. I am very excited to add her to our team.
I have to say that I was quite surprised by some of the responses I got from other applicants. I’d like to make a few comments about what not to do when looking for a job:
- Do not call 15 minutes prior to your interview time to reschedule because something has come up.
- Do not send an email inquiring about the job that uses incomplete sentences and poor grammar.
- Do not miss your interview, especially if you were the person from #1 who asked to reschedule.
- Do not list prior employment at a place that doesn’t exist.
- Do not ask me for the address to the clinic when I know you have downloaded your application from the website. The address is on the bottom of every page.
- Do not call and tell me that you are qualified to do the job because “you have pets”.
Since this is my place to put in my two cents, I would just like to remind folks that an interview is the time to put your best foot forward. I don’t think I am alone in saying that I assume that applicants are on their best behavior when applying and interviewing. If the above list is the best it gets, I am scared to know what would happen after a few weeks on the job.